Wednesday, October 10, 2018

COMFORT (A 31 Days of Five Minute Free Writes Post)

What's more comforting than lying in your warm bed under a bunch of blankets when it's cold outside your cocoon?  I've always loved the feeling of a pile of heavy blankets pinning me down in bed.  One of my parents' friends gave them an entire sheep's fleece as a wedding present.  They had it made into a comforter, which, decades later, I confiscated and used on my bed.  It was HEAVY, but oh, so comforting.  Who in his right mind would want to be able to move?  So soothing, all that weight.  It makes it easy to fall asleep.  I've "known" that for forever, but kind of thought it was just me. 

Turns out I'm not alone.

I've been hearing a lot recently about weighted blankets - mainly about how to make your own - but never understood what they were for. 

So, of course, I googled it!

Weighted blankets are used as occupational therapy for kids and adults with sensory disorders, anxiety, stress, and issues related to autism and ADHD.  One blanket company website lists over thirty disorders or diseases with symptoms that may be helped by deep pressure touch stimulation (the same idea as swaddling!) from PTSD to Alzheimer's to panic attacks to menopause.  Basically, a weighted blanket gives you a whole body hug.

An article in Forbes states weighted blankets may help others sleep more soundly, waking up happier and more focused.  Sounds like something we all could use.

Fascinating! 

And comforting.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This post is part of the 31-Day of Five Minute Free Writes challenge link-up.  Today's writing prompt was for Five Minute Friday, "COMFORT."  For more information on the challenge click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment