Monday, December 3, 2018

Give Thanks for Pumpkin Pie - YAY!

As I wrote in an earlier post, we had Thanksgiving at our house, and that means PUMPKIN PIE.
Well, Thanksgiving is over, and Christmas is coming, and that means MORE PUMPKIN PIE!!!

When I was little, my mom used to make a no-bake pumpkin pie using unflavored gelatin and Dream Whip mix or something like that.  Those pies were cold and pale, but they were delicious.  That was the only kind of pumpkin pie I’d ever had.   Most baked pumpkin pies looked burned and unappetizing to me until I went to my sister’s house, she had made baked pumpkin pies, and we ate them WARM!  What a concept!  So here’s my pumpkin pie recipe.  I started with the recipe on the back of a can of Libby’s pumpkin, then tweaked it over the years until I came up with the flavor I wanted.

Pumpkin Pie (2 9” pies)
Filling:
1 28-oz can 100% pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1 13-oz can sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
1 1/2 c dark brown sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t salt
2 T flour
4 t pumpkin pie spice

2 unbaked pie crusts, crimped, in 9” pie pans

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Mix all filling ingredients together and divide between the two pie crusts.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 35 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.  When you remove the pies from the oven, the centers will not be firm.  They will finish cooking as they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment