Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup (A Family Favorite from the Pantry)

I've been kinda sorta inventorying/reorganizing the freezer, and I found a package of cheese tortellini.  And a stack of packages of Italian sausage.  AND a package of shredded parmesan cheese.  Inspiration!

All the ingredients for this soup are things I try to keep on hand all the time.  It's one of those great fast go-to recipes that makes everyone stop and say, "What smells so good?"

Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup (about 8-10 servings)

1 lb Italian sausage OR ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
48 oz chicken broth
2 15 1/2-oz cans tomatoes with Italian seasoning, undrained
18-oz pkg refrigerated tortellini
10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach
2 T minced basil
shredded parmesan

Brown the sausage, onions, and garlic,  Add broth and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Add the tortellini, turn down the heat, and cook the tortellini  7 minutes.  Add spinach and basil.  Cook for 3 minutes.  Serve, topped with parmesan cheese, if desired, and crusty bread. 

NOTE:   I try to buy the sausage uncased, but if it's not available, buy it as sausage links, open the casings, and discard the casings before browning the meat.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh... you just gave me my idea for dinner. Thank you, Ruth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it - when I make it, it's a big hit! And so easy!

      Delete