Monday, January 7, 2019

I Prolly WON'T Get a Sammie - EVER

What is it lately with the toddler talk?

I recently read a post on one of my favorite blogs, and the blogger had used the word "prolly."  Someone (not me - honest!) commented "Prolly is not a word."  She defended her choice as basically being the way she talks to her friends - casually.  Really?  You use the word "prolly" in a spoken sentence?  Really?  Really?

And the menu of one of my favorite local breakfast/lunch/brunch places has a section for "Sammies."  I don't know what to make of that.  I can almost see "samwich" in conversation - almost.  Barely.  But certainly NOT "sammie," and not on a written menu.  Shudder.

Now, I wouldn't comment on that blog about "prolly."  It was her choice, and even though it bugs the heck out of me, I wasn't going to say anything - there.  And to make a stink in the restaurant about the  menu wording wouldn't do any good.

But HERE is a different story - my house, my rules - so here's my rant!

I suppose "prolly" came from texting; that's where I first came across it.  Even in texts, it makes me cringe.  I mean, if it saved a little time, then maybe.  Maybe.  But in most text programs, if you just start out with "prob," the word "probably" usually shows up as an option to choose.  In mine, if you put in "prolly," it suggests "probably."  So what's with "prolly?"  Why do so many bloggers use it?

And then there's "sammie" instead of "sandwich."  When my kids were little and were learning to talk, they would say "samwich" and we would correct them.  Then I started hearing grown people, so-called adults, using the word "sammie."  As in, "I'm going out for a sammie.  Wanna go with?"  (And that's another pet peeve - "go with."  How difficult is it to add "me" to the end?  Or just leave off the "with" altogether?)

These are just a couple of examples of what I used to call "lazy talk."  I climbed all over my kids for using lazy talk.  I worked hard to get them to speak and write in a way that would make them at least appear to be intelligent and grown up, but now I see this kind of stuff everywhere. 

Maybe people use it because they think it makes them sound on trend and smart.

But it doesn't make them sound smart; it makes them sound infantile and immature.

It's just lazy talk.  Toddler talk.

They need to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment