Saturday, January 12, 2019

BETTER (A Five-Minute Friday Post)

It's the first Five-Minute Friday of 2019 and the word of the day is "BETTER!"
Here's the evidence!

This year, I'm working at making the house better.  I have a heap of boxes to go through - some have been stored in the garage and attic for a long time (please don't ask how long - it's embarrassing!), and some are from our parents' houses, stored in one of the bedrooms.  I actually took one of those blasted boxes from the garage and emptied it today.  Easy-peasy lemon squeezy!  I decided to keep about half and donate the rest.  I only pitched one thing.  Someone will enjoy the items I "released."  I'd like to do that once a week.  Just think of the stuff I can jettison!!!

Also, I've been watching "Tidying with Marie Kondo" on NetFlix, and even though some of the things she does make me shake my head in disbelief (for example, thanking the items you're letting go), it's been kind of motivating.  You know, if Those People can do it, by gosh, so can I.  I've gotten some ideas for how to store some things that I would have never come up with on my own.

So, like the old motivational mantra says, "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better!"

--------------------------------------------------------------

This post is part of the Five-Minute Friday link-up.  Today's writing prompt was "BETTER."  For more information on Five-Minute Friday, click here.

7 comments:

  1. oh well done. It's hard to let some things go eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet! Some just cried out to be kept, but some were REALLY easy to let go!

      Delete
  2. Stopping by from FMF. Great job on letting go of things! That's something I struggle with. I have boxes in my garage that I haven't touched since we moved to this house 11 years ago. I really need to go through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, full disclosure - the boxes in the garage range from 20 to 30 years ago! The one in the picture had stuff wrapped in newspapers dated November, 1988! Oh my!

      Delete
  3. Love it! My side hustle is professional organizing (www.slaythechaos.com) and you've made my day with your attitude, willingness, and grit 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS! It's a struggle, but I refuse to make my kids go through the mess I did with our parents' stuff. I know there are things I would have wanted to keep, but got pitched without being found. Imagine a 2,000-square-foot basement COMPLETELY filled with boxes, trunks, filing cabinets, and dressers, all stuffed full. We did our best, but it was incredibly overwhelming. We did what we could, and let the rest go.

      Delete
  4. I must admit, after hearing about the Marie Kondo series on NetFlix, I binge watched all 8 episodes last weekend, and was motivated to try a few of her ideas someday soon. I totally understood the lady who talked about her clothing and wearing what fit instead of what gave her joy. You can't always afford to buy new just because a perfectly good piece of clothing doesn't spark joy when you wear it or touch it. Sometimes all it needs to do is cover my behind or be comfortable, it doesn't have to make me look like a million bucks to be worthy of keeping. Oh, the mountains of clothing those folks had! Wow! Good work getting it sorted sooner rather than later. I hope you are keeping track of all you are accomplishing!

    ReplyDelete