Thursday, May 21, 2020

This is Not (Quite) What I Ordered...

With the shelter in place and stay at home orders during the past couple of months of the coronavirus pandemic, FedEx, UPS, and Post Office people have been mega-busy all over the country.  And Amazon has become my new best shopping companion.  LOTS of Amazon and other online shopping.

However, sometimes there are foul-ups.  My sister ordered something that simply never arrived.  At all.  She eventually had to cancel the order and request a refund.  A couple of friends had packages delivered to their address that they hadn't ordered.  The address on the package was theirs, but it wasn't intended for them.  And a couple other friends had to track down a package of theirs that got delivered to the wrong house.

I must admit I've only had a couple of shipping malfunctions, but they were doozies!

I ordered a few plants (NOT seeds) from Burpee - nothing exotic, and not a lot of them.  Six plants in all - three tomatoes, one bell pepper, one rosemary, and one basil.  I already had seeds.  I had ordered the plants quite a while ago, but I didn't worry - Burpee ships them so they arrive when it's the right time to plant.  So you could order a whole slew of plants and they would come in several packages.  You might get part of your order in March, part in April, part in May, and the rest in June.

I finally got the shipping notification.  My plants were coming via UPS in two packages - one a week ago Friday, and one the following Monday.  Oh, was I excited!  Friday came, and there was my package on the porch - upside down!  Oh good grief.

I opened the box, and there was potting soil everywhere.  UGH.  About half of it was still where it belonged, but that was just dumb luck.  I salvaged what I could, watered the baby plants, and brushed as much dirt off the leaves as I could.

So Monday arrived, and I saw the UPS truck pull into the driveway, so I was ready!  There was the second package on the porch - UPSIDE DOWN.  AGAIN.  What the heck???  Again, potting soil all over.

You had ONE JOB - keeping it rightside up!
I really don't understand this.  The boxes were clearly marked, "Live Plants" and "This End
Up."  I did get on the UPS website and sent them a "question" through the email link after clicking "Contact Us."  I haven't heard back.

In a different vein, I ordered two identical single items from Amazon.  I got the order confirmation email and an "it's shipped" email with a Post Office tracking number.  I checked the tracking number, and yes, there it was - the label had been made and the Post Office was waiting for the package to arrive so they could start it on its way to me.  Woo hoo!

I hadn't heard anything more a couple of days later, so I checked the tracking number.  The label had been made and they were waiting to accept the package.   Hmmmm...

A week later, I checked the tracking number and got the same package status.  Hmmmm...

I kind of put it on the back burner and got busy with other things. A couple more weeks went by.  I checked the order status on Amazon and it said the package was scheduled to arrive "TOMORROW."

I checked the status the next day, and it said the package was scheduled to arrive "TODAY," and if it didn't, that I could either cancel the order and try again or I could continue to wait.  Well, I was in no particular rush; it wasn't something I needed immediately, so no big deal.

Another week went by, and I received an email from Amazon saying that apparently the package was lost and they were going to refund my money.  Fair enough, right?  It went further, saying I could try ordering it again if I wanted, or not, and just wait and the original order might show up after all.

Just three days later, I got a notification that the Post Office had received the package, and the expected delivery date was in two more days.  I thought, "Yeah, right.  Tell me the one about the three pigs."

Well, no fairy tale!  A package landed on my porch, and there were the items I ordered - FOUR OF THEM.  I didn't WANT four.  I don't NEED four.  But I CAN use four, and they didn't cost me anything.  Oh my.

As Dad would have said, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."  So I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment