Monday, November 19, 2018

Candied Carrots, and My Eighth and Ninth Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Boxes Continued!

My last two CSA boxes included a boat load of carrots!  Oh my!  What to do with all those orange spears?  

I let them languish in the crisper drawer in the fridge through my trip with my sister to the Lake of the Ozarks, and through the washing machine bearing repair week, and through the bring-the-boat-home weekend.  

Last week I decided to do something with the carrots, so I gathered up all the bags I had, dumped them onto the counter, peeled them, and put them into a large storage container.  

I ate quite a few of them raw, and they were great!  But enough raw carrots is enough, so I decided to cook some one night.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy!  But a little dull.  I wanted something just a little more than plain old cooked carrots.  So I got online and found a recipe for candied carrots, and here it is…



Candied Carrots

1 lb carrots, peeled, and cut into one-inch to two-inch pieces
2 T butter, diced (so it melts faster)
1/4 c packed brown sugar

Put the carrots in a saucepan and cover with lightly salted water.  Bring to a boil then turn down and simmer about 20 minutes or until fork tender (not mushy!).  Drain off the cooking water, then add the butter and brown sugar to the carrots in the pan.  Stir it all up, and cook on low heat until the sugar in the bottom of the pan is bubbly (about three to five minutes).  Serve them warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment