Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Numbered!

Here's one of the last three pairs of
lettered socks I own.  WrightSock doesn't
make these socks anymore - RATS.
Well, actually, I numbered the first few batches I ordered, but the later ones I lettered. 

What am I talking about?  Socks!

Specifically, running socks.

When I was running, I didn't do a lot of the stranger things other runners do, like refuse to throw out any of my old running shoes, but I did number my socks.  That Man probably thought I'd completely lost it, but it was a harmless enough foible, and he wisely left me to my special brand of eccentricity.

The idea is to label your socks to keep them matched up as a permanent pair.  So, when you put on a pair of socks, you know that both socks have exactly the same amount of wear on them.  Then, when they wear out, the pair can be thrown out instead of only pitching a single sock.

Yes, just a tiny bit obsessive, but when you've registered for a half marathon, you do what you can to avoid blisters and keep your feet happy. 

I'm not supposed to run anymore because of my knee replacement - at least, that's what the surgeon and the hospital's post-operative instructions said, and that sort of stinks because I liked how running made me feel. 

So now I need to find something to replace that craziness.  I really enjoy long-distance, endurance sports, so I'll probably return to walking, hiking, and biking.  I had started training last year for walking events, but then got sidetracked by That Uncooperative Knee and the home health care I ended up providing for the past fifteen months. 

However, That Uncooperative Knee has apparently decided to become That Cooperative Knee, and I'm looking forward to getting out on the roads and trails. 

Maybe I'll order myself some socks....

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could start roller skating or rollerblading as they call it now. Could get some funky knee socks then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I don't think Those Doctors would approve of skating. Heavy sigh. The chance for falls is too high. No more downhill skiing, either. Bummer!

      Delete