Monday, June 15, 2020

Breaking the Silence

I've kept quiet about the things that have happened in our country in the past couple of weeks, which is by design. It's been an upsetting time.

I decided when I started this blog that its purpose wasn't to comment on social or political issues.  This space is meant to be a place where you can come and get some ideas for dinner, travel vicariously with me (and my sister sometimes!), share in the simple joys and frustrations and ridiculousness of everyday life, and maybe escape from your own troubles for a little while.  That's why I write it.

If you know me at all, you know I don't do the hashtag thing associated with social movements and events.  I support some of these in my heart, but their focus and meaning and associations so often rapidly change and then have to be re-explained or understanding corrected, it's no longer effective.  Social media posting trends are generally too simplistic to express my thoughts on such complex subjects, so I'm not participating, but others do, that's okay by me.

For the record, I'm all for peaceful protests and free speech for ALL sides.  Everybody should be able to speak his mind without fear of being ridiculed, shamed, or silenced.  But shouting and rioting are the quickest ways to lose my respect.  In these times, I'm probably considered an oddball for saying so.

I believe in the Pledge of Allegiance - ONE nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice FOR ALL.  That's the ideal we all as Americans should strive for.  Compassion and justice for everybody, from everybody.  And the rule of law is part of that justice.  Justice is supposed to be blind, so nobody is favored.  I think everyone needs to be reminded of that.

It's easy to become overwhelmed by all that's happened and is still happening.  All the emotions that come are legitimate:  sadness, fear, anger, disappointment, shock, depression, uncertainty, shame.  The important thing is to listen.  Don't make assumptions about people on any side of the issues.  Remember we all have one mouth and two ears.  It may be a good time to keep our ears open and our mouths shut.  Silence may at times be golden, but I don't believe it's ever violence, contrary to some signs I've seen paraded at a couple of local protests.

What else is golden?  How about the Golden Rule?  Treat others the way you'd want to be treated.  If we all followed THAT rule, there probably wouldn't be any problem.

There.  I've said my piece.

Comments on this post have been disabled.  If you choose to comment on Facebook or Twitter, that's up to you, but I probably won't look at them.

That's all, folks.

We will return to our regular program in the following post, comments and all.