Monday, April 20, 2020

Maple Glazed Salmon (A Sheet Pan Recipe)

When it was difficult to find chicken at the grocery store, I grabbed a couple of packages of wild-caught salmon.  I put them in the freezer until I could decide what to do with them.  That Girl had told me about a salmon sheet pan dinner, and the more I thought about it, the more I thought I'd like to give it a try.

I'd never made a sheet pan dinner.  They got really popular a couple of years ago and there were sheet pan dinner recipes in magazines and on the internet, and people shared them like mad!  I never got into the craze then, but last week I was ready to take the plunge.

I started with oven roasted potatoes (click here for the recipe) on my sheet pan.  While they were cooking, I opened a package of frozen green beans and dumped them into the bowl I had used for tossing the potatoes in olive oil and seasonings.  I added a tablespoon of oil and some more salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

After the potatoes had been in the oven for 20 minutes, I took them out, turned on the broiler, shoved them to one side of the pan, dumped the beans on the other side of the pan, and put the salmon in the middle.  It all went under the broiler for 9 minutes.  Done!  Here's the recipe for the salmon itself.  You can substitute sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots, or whatever you want for the potatoes and green beans, but you'll have to adjust the roasting time depending on what you're cooking.  Just make sure to put the salmon in at the point where there's about 10 minutes left of the typical roasting time.

If you want, you can cook the salmon alone and use other cooking methods for your sides.


Maple-Glazed Salmon (A Sheet Pan Recipe)

1 1/2 to 2 pounds salmon fillets (4-5 fillets)
1/4 c maple syrup
3 T Dijon or coarse-ground mustard (I had neither, so I used horseradish mustard instead)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

Take the fillets out of the package, rinse them, then dry them off with a paper towel.

Turn the broiler on high.  Mix the remaining ingredients together, place the fillets at least 1/2 inch apart in a sheet pan sprayed with non-stick spray, spread the glaze evenly over each fillet.

Broil 7-10 minutes about 4-5 inches from the broiler element.  The glaze will caramelize and the salmon will be pink and opaque and will flake easily with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment