Friday, April 13, 2018

OTHER (A Five-Minute Friday Post)

How does it feel to be The Other? I think I know.

I was raised in a military family. We moved several times before I was in fourth grade. Every move, I was The Other, the new girl.

I was raised in a strict Christian family. I was The Other. Strict in dress, strict in activities, just strict all around. And very sheltered. Most of our socializing was done through the church - Sunday school class parties and outings, youth group meetings and retreats, potluck dinners. It seemed like nobody at school did those kinds of things. I believed things different from the others.

I was the smart girl, the nerdy, geeky, quiet girl. I was The Other. I liked school. I liked most of the subjects, but especially science and math. The girls thought I was weird. The boys thought I was too smart. Even though all my classes were with the kids in the “in” crowd, I was most definitely NOT “in.”

Being The Other has taught me to look for Others around me - those who don’t have an “in crowd” to hang with. When we find each other, we make our own little crowd, where we can be Others together.

--------------------------------------------------------------

This post is part of the Five-Minute Friday link-up.  Today's writing prompt was "OTHER."  For more information on Five-Minute Friday, click here.

3 comments:

  1. No wonder we fit into the same groups so well! We are both "others"! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool, I was the other until either I started finding the others or they found me. Although my intentions were good. I tried to get some of the others to stop following me, but they wouldn't listen. It was than I became the down under until I found love which taught me to be the overcomer.

    ReplyDelete