Friday, March 30, 2018

SETTLE (A Five-Minute Friday Post)

What's the first thing that comes to mind when I consider the word "settle?"  Oh, I couldn't achieve the best, so I settled for something less.  That "something less" could be lifestyle, relationships, address, employment, skills - any number of things.

Have I settled?  Yes, but in a positive way.  

I've settled down from the immature thrashing around that young people do.  I've settled differences, resolved struggles and conflicts, and remedied bad situations throughout my life.  I've finally become peaceful in my own head and settled into who I genuinely am.  

I've come to rest, finally, secure in God's love for me, even though, and maybe because, I'm not perfect. 


settle
verb
verb: settle 3rd person present: settles past tense: settled past participle: settled gerund or present participle: settling
  1. resolve or reach an agreement about (an argument or problem).: "every effort was made to settle the dispute".
    synonyms: resolvesort outsolveclear upendfixwork outiron outstraighten outset rightrectifyremedyreconcilepatch up
    antonyms: prolong
  2. adopt a more steady or secure style of life, especially in a permanent job and home.:"one day I will settle down and raise a family".
  3. sit or come to rest in a comfortable position.: "he settled into an armchair".
    synonyms: sit downseat oneselfinstall oneselfensconce oneselfplant oneselfpark oneselfplunk oneselflandcome to restalightdescendperch, light.

--------------------------------------------------------------

This post is part of the Five-Minute Friday link-up.  Today's writing prompt was "SETTLE."  For more information on Five-Minute Friday, click here.

8 comments:

  1. Love your perspective here, Ruth. Settling is not a bad thing.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2018/03/your-dying-spouse-451-everest-of-daily.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew! Yes, settling can be a good thing, a lot of the time.

      Delete
  2. Many times it takes hard work to find settled,
    congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lelie - hard work and lots of time, too. It takes a while to learn these things.

      Delete
  3. Excellent take on the word settle. Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for helping me look at the word another way! Visiting from FMF. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think I've settled into my truest self. Thanks!

      Delete