Friday, March 23, 2018

ROUTINE (A Five-Minute Friday Post)

There are two ways to look at the word "routine."

To many people, routine means an ordinary, dull, blah, boring, fenced-in, mind-numbing rut.

But to me, routine, or rather, MY routine, is freeing!

Things that are "routine" don't take any thought, like brushing your teeth.  If I had to decide to brush my teeth every day, I'd go crazy!  And probably lose all my teeth in the bargain, because I really don't WANT to brush my teeth - how boring!!!  I'd rather do something FUN!

My routines keep my mind free for other things, fun things, creative energies, REAL decisions!  It's like writing a sonnet.  There are certain rules - a certain number of lines, a particular rhyme scheme, a specific number of syllables per line.  Some people would say that's restrictive, but it actually helps the creative process.  You have to come up with something to say, but you have to fit it into all the required parameters.  It forces you to express yourself clearly and succinctly.

My routines keep the everyday stuff running in the background so I'm free to branch out in other directions.

Routine - please, fence me in, and take me away!

--------------------------------------------------------------

This post is part of the Five-Minute Friday link-up.  Today's writing prompt was "ROUTINE."  For more information on Five-Minute Friday, click here.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you have joined the Five Minute Friday Fun!
    FMF #68 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS fun! I like the challenge and discipline it offers.

      Delete
  2. I struggle with routine,
    I enjoyed your thoughts and those of others today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Routine can be tough, and it has a bad reputation, but it is useful, too!

      Delete
  3. Great post and so true. I'm in the #67 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete