Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Autumn Harvest Soup (A Throwback Recipe from 1971)

Back in the olden days, before microwave ovens were common, I subscribed to something called the "Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library."  The initial package contained a large plastic card file box with a hinged lid, category dividers, and the first set of recipe cards.   Every month I received another set of cards to place behind another divider.  The last shipment contained the final set of recipe cards and the index.  When completely assembled, it weighed around 6 pounds!  If you'd like to see one of these wonders, there are several listed for sale on Amazon and Etsy.

During a period of decluttering a few years ago, I went through those cards and pulled out the ones I liked and some I still hadn't tried and pitched the rest.  This is one of those I hadn't attempted.  I've tweaked it a little because so many of the recipes from back then were, well, BLAND.  When I made this version, I got an "Excellent Soup" from That Man - not an adjective he throws around loosely. 

Soup's on!


Autumn Harvest Soup

1 lb lean ground beef
1 c onion, cut up
1 c carrot, cut up
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 c beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 T Worchestershire sauce
1 T Italian seasoning
1 t garlic powder
1 t minced basil
1 t salt
1 t pepper
28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained

In a 4-quart pan or dutch oven, brown ground beef and onions.  Add the remaining ingredients except the tomatoes, cover, and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer 20 minutes.  Add the tomatoes with liquid and simmer an additional 10 minutes.  Remove the bay leaf before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Just curious, how is this different from vegetable soup? It sounds so very much like my recipe. Love your food posts.

    ReplyDelete