Thursday, April 4, 2019

MEASURE (A Five-Minute Friday Post)

I'm having real difficulty with this particular writing prompt.  Ugh.  Well, here goes!


"Measure" reminds me of Shakespeare's Measure for Measure, and "measure twice, cut once."

And quotes:

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."  (Samuel Johnson)

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have."  (Vince Lombardi)

"The measure of a man is what he does with power."  (Plato)

"If you can't measure it, you can't improve it."  (Peter Drucker)  This one is my favorite, at least right now.

When I was going to physical therapy after my knee replacement, the therapist periodically measured the angle of my bent knee.  Over the course of just a few weeks, it went from 95 to 105 to 110 to 120 to 126 to 130, but to me, it felt pretty much the same.  I couldn't see the angle myself, and I just bent my knee as far as possible, so it always felt pretty similar.  Although I could tell my foot was getting closer and closer to my rear end, I couldn't tell how much.  Because I had goal numbers, and I had measurements for comparison, I knew I was improving rapidly.

I'm trying to declutter the house (it's an ongoing process).  I work on particular spaces, and it's amazing how much STUFF is STUFFED into them!  I'll work and work and do what feels like a lot, but when I look at the space afterward, I don't see much improvement.  So I started keeping track of how many trash bags I fill, and how many boxes I empty.  Otherwise, I'd think I've been spinning my wheels.

Make a list of the things you measure every day.

How could you use those measurements to improve your life?

--------------------------------------------------------------

This post is part of the Five-Minute Friday link-up.  Today's writing prompt was "MEASURE."  For more information on Five-Minute Friday, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment