Thursday, February 18, 2021

The Snowblower and Me

The view from our back door.

We've had SNOW this week - Monday and Tuesday.  And not just the little stinkin' snows we usually get - you know, one or two inches (if we're lucky!) and then it warms up and melts in the afternoon and freezes overnight.  Most of the time there's not a lot of point in shoveling; it just disappears either because the sun comes out or it changes to rain and gets washed away.

Last winter, we lucked out - we didn't really get much snow, and what we did get went away pretty quickly.  A good thing, too, because That Knee wasn't up to standing and walking for any extended time, so shoveling and running the snowblower were OUT.

Well.

Monday we got dumped on.  It snowed most of the day, falling thicker and faster as the day progressed.  We were one of the areas where there was "locally heavier accumulation," plus we have some places on our property where the snow drifts badly.

I fixed an early dinner, and afterward, when it was getting dark, That Person with That Knee said maybe he should get out the snowblower and...  I squelched THAT right away.  I'm not going to allow That Knee to have ANY excuse to kick up a fuss and let the nasty little infection bacteria get a toehold again.  Not THIS winter, anyway.

So I put on my arctic Carhartts and went out to the detached garage - That Man's private domain.  He tagged along, walking gingerly in the path I broke through the snow.  I'd never used our snowblower before, delicate flower that I am (HA!), so I needed instruction in its usage.

He gassed it up, showed me all the levers, buttons, switches, and toggles, got it started, and away I went!  

I spent a little less than an hour going up and down the driveway and front walk, while the snow fell fast and furious and the wind blew like crazy.  Although it was dark, it wasn't DARK.  The snow reflected enough of what little ambient light there was that I didn't need to turn on any of the outside lights to see what I was doing.

It was kind of nice out there, just me and the snowblower.  I saw two snowmobilers early on, and a couple of cars, but everybody was huddled in their homes and the snowplows hadn't started their evening runs on our street.  They had plowed several times throughout the day, but while I was out there, the street was dead.  I finished, returned the snowblower to the garage and went back into the house.

By the time it stopped Tuesday morning, there was just about the same amount of snow that I had already removed the previous evening covering the areas I'd cleared.  So, after lunch, I put on my Carhartts, went out to the detached garage, and started up the snowblower again - alone, this time.

I spent more time on the job that second time - clearing a path to the mailbox, and clearing more of the road in front of the mailbox so the mail carrier wouldn't have trouble reaching it from his little red, white, and blue Jeep.  Also some of the bad drifts in the driveway - the places that required three or four (or more!) passes to get down to the pavement, mainly between the cars we don't drive often, but also where the garage and race car trailer form a right angle - we get some really nice drifts there!  And at the end of the driveway and in front of the mailbox, where the snowplows throw the snow from the road.  Again, it was nice out there - still quiet, no wind to speak of (YAY!), and bright sun.  I got warm enough I couldn't wear a hat or my hood, so my scalp got sunburned where the hair parts!  I can still feel it!

I was kind of tired after manhandling the snowblower two days in a row!

Today I worked on the snow packed under the attached garage's door (it wouldn't quite close all the way, and we don't need the cold air blowing in under it), chipped the snow and ice off our mailbox (we want to get our mail), and cleared the whole front porch and the steps up to it (we want to get our Amazon packages - HA!).  It must have worked because we got mail and packages about an hour later.  We didn't get ANY yesterday, and Monday was Presidents Day, so no mail delivery, even if there hadn't been all that snow.

So I'm feeling like I've accomplished a LOT this week, even though I haven't done much of my normal work around the house (to be honest, I haven't done ANY - the house is a wreck).  But that's not the end of it.  We're supposed to get another couple of inches of snow tonight.  They say about 2 inches, but who knows?!?!?

We will see what we see when we see it!

Oh FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment