Thursday, January 28, 2021

I Ran Out of Refrigerator and Freezer Space!

Just a quick post today!

It's COLD out!  When it's cold and dreary like this, I like to make a BIG pot of my Confetti Bean Soup.  Well, I did, and when there are only two people to eat it, there are LOADS of leftovers.  Usually, I just divide up the soup among a bunch of 1-quart containers and either freeze them or put them in the fridge and eat on it until it's gone.

Well, I made the soup, we ate the soup, and I looked in the refrigerator - FULL.  No problem!  I checked the freezers - FULL.  Hmmmmmm...  This was quite the dilemma.  What to do, what to do?

CAN IT!

Now, I had never, ever, canned bean soup before, so I was wading into unknown waters.  I was confident it was possible to pressure can it, but I just didn't know the headspace, pressure, or time required.  I rummaged through my shelf of canning books, and in the third one I pulled out, there was a recipe for 10-bean soup that's similar to mine.

It's just the normal pressure canning process with these specifics:

1" headspace

10 lbs pressure

90 minutes

I ended up with SEVEN quarts (a full capacity load for the canner) of soup, plus almost another quart I stuck in the refrigerator.  Now the guys won't get tired of eating bean soup every day for a week, and I can have it whenever it strikes my fancy, with no real effort (say hello to Mr. Microwave!).

And now I have to find some shelf space in the pantry...oh me.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you need to see how long you can go without grocery shopping and use up all that stuff filling the refrigerator, freezer and pantry. Consider it a challenge to see how cheap you can eat for the next month.

    ReplyDelete